Monday, September 21, 2020

SHOULD SENIORS GET A PUPPY?

 Now that is a good question and one I have been asked at least once a day while I am out enjoying a walk with my new fur baby, Gus.  First and foremost you have to be fit to get a puppy, as they require exercise.  Some people are fit right into their 80's and 90's while some people much younger are not fit at all so age shouldn't be a factor.  People ask "what if you die before the dog?", really, you can die at any age so should no one ever get a puppy?  I do feel when a senior gets a puppy that someone should be in place to care for the puppy in the event you cannot, and that would certainly be a good idea for everyone so a puppy does not end up in a shelter.   I think raising a puppy is a bit like raising children- the more you have in your life the easier they become.  I must say, I don't find puppies hard work at all, and I have raised several puppies along with three boys.  What memories I have and I would not trade those memories for anything in the world.

Moving to a new community when you are older is difficult as you leave friends behind to embark on your new venture to "Bloom Where You are Planted."  This recently happened to me, so what did I do? I went back to school and got my Real Estate License and I love my new career but something was still missing in my life and I knew exactly what it was...It was my heart's best friend, a dog.  I know when owning a dog (puppy), you are more likely to practice heart-healthy habits such as a good exercise routine, eating well-balanced meals, as well as developing good sleep habits.  Did you know that almost 40% of seniors experience loneliness on a regular basis (which research has associated with poor health, poor sleep, high stress, and more inflammation?  Pets will also help take your mind off pain.  All you ever have to do is look into your pet's eyes and you will get a boost of feel good.  Pets help you stick to a routine, you have someone who is totally dependent on you, and those empty hours are suddenly filled with feeding, walking, grooming, and playing with your fur baby as well as keeping your mind sharp. There is always someone at home to greet you.  You suddenly find yourself more social as you walk your pet and meet other pet owners.  I have found since having Gus, that I have connected with more people in this last month than I have since I moved to my new home.

So you have all my reasons for this senior getting a puppy and I don't regret it for a second.  Yes, I still work hard at Real Estate, and Sam and I have decided to take turns working at home until Gus is a little older.  For two seniors such as we are, becoming Sam, Helen Ann and Gus has been the best decision we ever made.  We are a family.  I personally think that dogs are absolutely amazing, they give unconditional love and for me, they are the role model for being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless you are a no-reply blogger. Then I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!