Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Upcycled Dresser To Love Again

A beautiful makeover using Frottage, (French: “rubbing”), in visual arts, a technique of obtaining an impression of the surface texture of a material, such as wood, by placing a piece of paper over it and rubbing it with a soft pencil or crayon, as for taking brass rubbings; the name is also applied to the impression so obtained.  This was a 70's maple dresser that I basically turned Shabby Chic with little effort.  I started with a base of Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue and only gave it one coat.  When it was completely dry, I then put a coat of Annie Sloan Sage green on top.  While it was still wet, I crumbled a paper bag good and tight.  After crumbling the paper, I open it up to all the wrinkles and pressed it into the wet paint creating a very artistic look as you can see in the picture.  I did not stress the dresser but sealed it well with Dixie Belle Gator Hide(Gator Hide is a poly-acrylic that repels water and is used to protect tabletops and cabinets).  As you can see I left a peekaboo of the maple to show through  New handles from Hobby Lobby $35.00 and there you have it, a brand new dresser that if purchased in a store would be close to $500 or depending on where you buy it, even more.  Two cans of Annie Sloane paint cost me approximately $75.98 and a 16oz can of Dixie Belle Gator Hide for $36.45, that will last you for several projects.  The entire project cost $147.43 and by the way, I used that Annie Sloane paint on several other projects as it goes a long way.   We can keep our social distance while getting together for some wine and painting. 



                                                            
                                                    Vintage Inspired Dresser

                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless you are a no-reply blogger. Then I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!