Sunday, June 7, 2020

Spaghetti and Meatballs

I am married to a 100% Italian who loves to eat.  I cannot believe that the first meal I ever cooked for him was spaghetti and meatballs.  I must admit, however, that the lady who gave me the recipes was likewise, 100% so I had a bit of a head start.  The first time Sam tried my sauce and meatballs, he looked up to heaven and said "Sorry Ma She Makes Sauce Just Like You."  That being said here is Rose Aikman's recipe for sauce and meatballs.  Sam still loves my sauce.


Rose Aikman Spegetti Sauce

2 (28 oz.) Hunts Tomato Sauce
1 (28 oz.) Hunts Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
1 (35 oz.) Cento Italian Peeled Tomatoes.  I crush them before I put them in the sauce.
1 (6 oz.) can Hunts Tomato Paste
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2-3 tsp of Italian Spices
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pork Neck Bone (optional)
Romano Cheese (grated)

I always fry my paste for a few minutes with the crushed garlic and the pork neck bone.  Next, add all ingredients and simmer covered for about 1 1/2 hours.  When it is time to serve the sauce, remove the neck bone, and put it in a bowl for someone to enjoy.  Add some sauce in a pasta bowl, next pasta of your preference, and toss.  Serve the extra sauce (gravy) (this is always an on-going debate between Italians) in a gravy boat or bowl and ladle as you desire.  Serve with grated romano cheese.


Rose Aikman's Meatballs

1 lb. ground sirloin (you can use chuck or any other ground beef)
2 eggs
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs (We use Progresso)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cloves garlic minced through a garlic press
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.  Form into balls.  You can either bake at 350 until done or we put ours in the sauce while cooking for flavor.  As an added note, you can flash freeze on a cookie sheet and keep in freezer bags until ready for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless you are a no-reply blogger. Then I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!