Friday, June 19, 2020

Teriyaki Flank Steak or London Broil

This recipe is from a collection from my "If Recipies Could Talk" cookbook.  I recalled many times my children would call me for a "special" recipe or two.  I would either try to recall it from the recesses of my memory or try to locate it in one of many cookbooks or scratch paper where I was known to scribble recipes.  It occurred to me that if I put together a potpourri of my favorite recipes, it would be a meaningful gift to give my family.  That being said, in 2000 I spent eight months painstakingly working my way through more cookbooks than I ever thought I owned.  I would type a recipe and remember (I was an empty nester by this time) a memorable family time when we would enjoy this dish together at our dinner table.  These beautiful memories of family times became the threads that wove my cookbook together.  While writing this book, I asked my children to share some of their favorite recipes.  The following was and still is my son, Cliff's, favorite.  I hope you enjoy it and create your own memories around the table.


Teriyaki London Broil

1 (1 1/2 lb) London Broil or flank steak
5 green onions
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. crushed ginger (I chop it finely and then use a fork to crush it)
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbs. honey
2 tbs vinegar

Place the london broil in a large shallow dish.  Combine all ingredients, mixing well.  Pour over the steak, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours, turning occasionally.  Drain the steak, reserving the marinade.  Grill, basting with the marinade, 5-10 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer registers 130-135 degrees for rare, 140 degrees for medium-rare, and 155 degrees for medium.  It is best to let your meat rest approximately 5 minutes after removing it from the grill.   To serve slice the steak across the grain into thin slices.

~Bon Appetit

2 comments:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless you are a no-reply blogger. Then I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!