Saturday, June 6, 2020

You Can't See the Forest for the Trees

We have all heard and felt from time to time "You can't see the forest for the trees." What exactly does that mean to you? I think it is an expression used when we get so involved in the details of a problem, we can't look at the situation as a whole. If, for instance, you look at things one at a time you may not realize that branches of separate trees grow together to make a forest. 

I came to this realization when I moved to North Carolina during a time in my life when I was experiencing some challenges You might say, I went through my own self-isolation during that time. I spent hours by myself trying to figure out the big picture. The mountains with all their splendor and beauty and walks through the forest taught me so much about life. It was during those that I times that I was able to see the forest without concentrating on just tree or two. 

Now we are facing the challenge of this pandemic and a lot of people are beginning to lose their optimism. It is important to keep in mind that our mental and physical health are linked. Once in a while like perhaps a Sunday or two of yesteryear it's perfectly okay to stay in your pajamas all day and watch Netflix. That, in itself, can be fun and liberating when the keywords are "once in a while," but don't let it become a habit. You can still follow a routine and add value to your day. Learn some self-isolation activities to prevent boredom from setting in. 

For me, it has been writing and starting a blog. Downloading some podcasts, learning a new language, trying some new recipes, and Zoom-ing is a perfect way to enjoy time with family and friends. We, in Florida, reap the benefit of a lanai where we can enjoy Friday night happy hour with our neighbors on their lanai. Eating healthy and keeping an exercise routine as well as getting up and going to bed at the same time each day. You can still find joy around you. "This will have a lasting effect to make us a better humanity after this pandemic ends."

~ Helen Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless you are a no-reply blogger. Then I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!