Friday, June 12, 2020

Helen Ann's Twice Baked Potatoes

If I had one word to describe these twice baked potatoes it would extraordinary.  This will become a family favorite!  To this very day, my daughters-in-law's and my granddaughters, as well as my sons, use this recipe and they all claim, better than any restaurant. 

Bon Appetite! 


Twice Baked Potatoes

6 Russett Baking Potatoes
1 stick butter (melted)
8 ozs of sour cream  (I use Horizon Organic as it keeps forever)
1/2 cup of milk (add more if your potatoes are not creamy enough)
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (I prefer yellow but white will do)
1 cup green onions (scallions), green parts only sliced thinly
12 slices of cooked bacon (to stay healthy I use nitrate-free bacon) crumble and set aside
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
sea salt

  1. Preheat your oven to 350
  2. Coat each potato with a little olive oil and sea salt.  Be sure to make an X in your potatoes before baking (this will eliminate and exploded potatoes in the oven)  Not Fun!!
  3. Wrap each potato in heavy-duty foil
  4. Bake until done.  I just squeeze the potato to make certain it is soft
  5. Let potatoes cool and remove the foil.
  6. Cut them in half lengthwise
  7. Scoop out the potato flesh and put in a mixing bowl, leaving the shells in tack
  8. Use the foil you removed from the potatoes or use new pieces and wrap your potato boats
  9. Save three pieces of bacon for garnish after the potatoes are done and ready to serve
  10. Mix all the remaining ingredients with the potatoes and stuff your potato boats (I use a potato masher and not a mixer)  some lumps are fine.  If more milk is needed, now would be the time to add it. 
  11. Bake again at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is good and melted.  These are best eaten immediately or leftover the next evening.  They can be frozen but do not thaw before re-baking.  Just cover and put them straight into a 350 oven.
 Live Well and Prosper,
~Helen Ann

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from my readers. I typically respond directly to your email unless you are a no-reply blogger. Then I will reply directly on my website. Thanks for stopping by!